Archive for April, 2010
Most people only have Microsoft Outlook at a single location.
To access Microsoft Outlook email remotely, people use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) client, or tools like GoToMyPC from home.
Alternatively, Fastmetrics customers can use the Fastmetrics hosted web browser to access their email from the internet (webmail), with an Outlook interface.
If you are a Fastmetrics client, or would like to know how to improve document upload speed with Microsoft Outlook, or access Outlook email from multiple locations, follow the steps below.
Essentially, the point is to create a local cache of data replicating all the data on the mail server.
Thus, performance to a local user is greatly enhanced.
Before continuing, make sure that you will not be using the computer for about 2 hours as it might take at least this time or more to fully sync all the folders.
During syncing, it might seem like Microsoft Outlook is frozen, and you will not be able to use it.
This will only happen once!
Complete these steps over lunch or at the end of the day.
The first time you change these settings, Microsoft Outlook will sync the entire folder to the local computer to speed up performance.
Doing this will keep your local computer up to date always & performance will greatly improve.
Log into Microsoft Outlook, (the location of the program will vary), find it by following this path, (if not on the desktop).
- Click Start
- Select All Programs
- Highlight Microsoft Office
- Double click on Microsoft Outlook
You might find a desktop short cut, you can double click on it to open Outlook, you might also find it on the start menu, or maybe in all 3 places.
To set up access from different computers for Microsoft Outlook, follow these steps.
1. Click on Tools, Email accounts.
2. Now select “View or change existing email accounts” . Then click “next”.
3. Double click Communigate, DO NOT click Finish.
4. Click the Advanced tab at the top.
5. If you access you account from more than one location select “Global Microsoft Outlook Application Data folder (Roamed)” if not, select “Local Microsoft Outlook Application Data folder”.
6. Click OK.
7. And now click finish.
8. If you see the MAPI progress bar, wait until this process is complete. Do not interrupt your system at it may cause errors.
9. Make sure that you restart Microsoft Outlook to see the changes.
10. Select the mail folder.
If you did not see the progress bar last time, you will see it this time.
Let the sync process complete, remember not to interrupt your system.
REMEMBER this is only going to happen once!
If you see nothing happening, leave the computer alone, it is synchronizing.
11. Process complete.
You can now access Outlook from different places, remotely, on the road, wherever there is an internet connection.
Alternatively, access it from your desktop using the faster local cache with Microsoft Outlook and its features.
LogMeIn is a support tool that enables a Fastmetrics Technician to ‘log into’ your computer remotely. This enables the technician to perform tasks on your computer themselves, rather than guide you through the process of fixing your tech support problem over the phone.
Here’s how to connect to a Fastmetrics Technician with LogMeIn:
1. Open a web browser and type in logmein123.com.
2. You will see the following window where you will be asked to enter a unique, one time use code. This code is provided by the Fastmetrics technician that will be working with you.
3. You will now be asked to download a file, click save.
4. Now run the file.
Note: Steps 3 & 4 will have to be completed every time you do a remote session, but you can delete the file when you finish.
5. You will see the message below, click YES.
6. You will now see a chat screen. This way the Fastmetrics Tech can chat to you via your computer, or will keep you on the phone as your technical support problem is resolved.
When the session is done, this message box will let you know.
Fastmetrics has added Knowledge Base and Support categories to our blog.
Click on the above link to find out about;
- Phone configuration guides & user manuals.
- Broadsoft user guides.
- Polycom user guide & configuration tips.
- Communigate features (Pronto, MobileOffice, etc).
- Configure e-mail & MAPI.
- Network support issues.
- Configure your Nokia or iPhone for e-mail.
& more useful articles for your business.
Articles coming soon, once we move them from our old Knowledge Base.
With Pronto, I can check my webmail, instant message work colleagues & make a VoIP call using the same interface.
It’s really easy to use. I just use a headset to make calls, that’s all you need.
The voice quality is really good.
I can do what I want to from Pronto. I don’t need a lot of different windows or a soft phone interface open.
Everything from the inbox.
This is a screenshot of me calling Australia. You can use the soft keypad, type in the number, or double click on a contact or number from your call history. (Use the drop down number pad for voice prompt selections).
Below is the main menu which can be found at the top of the Pronto interface.
- Shared calendars
- News feed (add your favorite subscriptions & feeds)
- Twitter (tweet without having to go to Twitter).
The soft phone is my favorite feature. It’s so simple to make VoIP calls.
That and Twitter updates from Pronto. Just a matter of entering your Twitter account details & once again, you can do everything from the Pronto interface.
Another feature of Pronto is it’s AIR interface.
I must admit I do not use this feature much, but it is available & a great solution for people or businesses who receive alot of files in their inbox.
Store music, image & text files in Pronto or easily organize them on your desktop with an easy drag & drop.
Stay tuned for more Pronto features. I think it is a great tool worth blogging about.
If you need to make a phone call to someone in another country and you are not quite sure how to dial the number, then this service should hopefully help you.
I am not talking about Christmas trees here. I am talking about strategies employed by large carriers such as XO or Telepacific to retain revenue forever.
Basically, if you are a business owner or CTO for a business in California and have signed a telecommunications contract, beware of the contract date and the conditions under which it renews.
Fastmetrics is a systems integrator and we handle all contracts for our customers. While we have reasonable renewal clauses, some of our competitors do not.
They call them ‘evergreen clauses’, and it basically states that “after the initial contract term of 3 years, the contract will automatically renew for an additional 1 year term (& sometimes 3 year term)“.
To cancel the contract, the customer has to notify the carrier 30 days in advance of the renewal date.
Now the ‘Gotcha!’
Sometimes we have customers with internet & telephone service on an old carrier agreement.
In that case some companies play an even more confusing game.
I would like to assume it is due to incompetence, but one has suspicions that it may be a sinister plot.
Some Fastmetrics’ customers HAVE cancelled with their provider 30 days in advance of the renewal date and presto….they were told that if you cancel you will not be able to initiate the telephone number port, you will lose your existing numbers.
I was stunned to hear that, and was certain this was due to incompetence of the carrier (at least I HOPE it was incompetence, and not a malicious plot to retain customers despite the customers’ desires).
Of course you can cancel 30 days in advance, and still port your telephone numbers….all you have to do is make sure the process is complete prior to the end date of the contract.
To make this easy, plan for a little overlap.
Fastmetrics often puts in a temporary service in advance of the MetricFiber service to bridge overlap time. This way end users can start using the telephone service prior to the end of the existing contract on the new service.
70% of the 95 million smartphones today are not BlackBerry devices.
MobileOffice is a service provided by Fastmetrics, which enables BlackBerry style services to these 59 million non-BlackBerry smartphones.
- Apple iPhone
- Nexus One (Google phone)
- HTC (Windows)
- Samsung smartphones
- Nokia N series
- Motorola smartphones
- Sony smartphones
You can’t get this service anywhere else.
• Improve customer relations: Always available and accessible, via phone, email or IM.
• Increase sales: Turn around leads & customer requests more efficiently and effectively.
• Improve internal communications: Easy, more rapid response to business critical emails and queries.
• Reduce costs: Hosted SaaS model significantly reduces both CAPEX and OPEX. Optimize call plans & reduce mobile-originated calls, reduce communications bills.
• Simplify communication systems: Consolidate complex IT systems into one, powerful simple solution.
• Maximize productivity: A mobile solution that works in or out of the office.
Best of all, it works with the smartphone you already own.
- Full mobile Unified Communications
- Push mail, calendars and contacts
- Personal data backup
- Group calendars and contacts
- Remote device wipe and security
- Universal, zero-installation desktop client
- Fully standardized and open APIs
- IMS and SIP compatible backplane and application servers
MobileOffice accounts from Fastmetrics are $20 monthly for 4 accounts.
$5 a month for each additional account.
Email: email@example.com or call 1-800-724-7100 toll free to register.
It’s that easy to bring an all-in-one solution to ANY smartphone & your business.
Fastmetrics has enhanced it’s email & webmail service, offering more to our clients throughout the United States.
The updated webmail service offers the option to use Pronto, the dynamic interface which allows EVERYTHING from your inbox.
- Utilize our Outlook style webmail service, so you can access your important information & e-mails from anywhere.
- Stay in touch with your colleagues with Pronto, using instant messaging from your inbox, or a soft phone for VoIP users.
For a preview of the upgraded service; http://mail.fastmetrics.com
Fastmetrics also provides extensive hosted email services to businesses.
Microsoft Exchange® compatible hosting includes shared calendaring, contacts, notes & tasks using an integrated MAPI connector.
All e-mail services with Fastmetrics include;
- MetricScrub, our well known spam & virus filtering software, powered by Postini.
- Access to a email list server which supports, digests & archives your email lists. The list server has an intuitive interface that allows you to add & modify email user accounts easily.
- Email subscription service: A feature which allows you to set permissions on your files / folders in your email account. Set up groups and / or individual mailboxes and specify which items those users should share & who can see them.
With MetricFiber, unlock your networking power.
- Ability to connect offices & remote workers over 1 fast & secure fiber internet service.
- No more waiting for uploads & downloads.
- Get 100mbps & up to 250mbps upload & download speeds, delivered to your building or office.
- 250mbps is a new speed now provisioned by Fastmetrics.
MetricFiber uses Ethernet & fiber optic technology to deliver the fastest internet speeds to your business.
For more info on how MetricFiber is installed, read this entry by our CEO & MetricFiber creator, Andreas Glocker.
Or visit our MetricFiber page.